Sunday, 8 October 2017

inktober 2017 day 7 and 8

G is for Golem, and H is for hellhound



Friday, 6 October 2017

Inktober 2017 day 6

F is for fairy, watch out where they fly. This is the sweet little Hellboy tooth fairy who will pull teeth right out of your head, and eat them.

Thursday, 5 October 2017

Wednesday, 4 October 2017

Inktober 2017 Day 4

D is for Dragon with fiery breath...


Tuesday, 3 October 2017

inktober day 3 C is for Cockatrice

A Cockatrice is a chicken headed lizard, often confused with a Basilisk, and sometimes a Wyvern.

Not here.


Monday, 2 October 2017

inktober 2017 day 2

Day 2, and I managed to sketch the pencils during the team call, and get the inks done at lunch.
I visited the Litho Workshop where Scarlett has started an inktober wall, and took the opportunity to nip into the shop and get some more Pigma Microns. Unfortunately I got a bunch of 2mm and 3mm Pigmas, but it turns out they are ok. I'll be a bit more careful and grab some 1mm pens tomorrow.

Anyway
B is for Basilisk, one stare you're a corpse... which sort of scans with the day 1 effort.
A is for Axe wielded by dwarves, B is for Basilisk, one stare you'r a corpse.

sort of.


Sunday, 1 October 2017

inktober2017 day 1 A is for Axe

My aims for #inktober2017 is to try and improve my inking, maybe tighten up the way I get things done, and investigate some alternative approaches.

I'm quite stuck in my ways, I draw the thing in pencil, ink over it with Copic Ciao markers and Pigma Micron Graphic pens, then photograph it on my phone and import that photo into Photoshop elements 10. Sometimes when iCloud is behaving this is quite quick, other times I have to sync my phone, or email the image to myself.
Once in Photoshop elements I rotate the image, stick it into Black and White mode, and clean up. Once the clean up is done I'll reduce the size of the image and then export it.


So here's a couple of short videos about how that process works. I'll do the same at the end of October and see how I've improved :)





Sunday, 30 July 2017

Ludum Dare 39 Hungry Sharks

Dom nagged me to join in with the Ludum Dare 39 Game Jam this weekend. He is making some weird fighty game with Gamemaker. I decided I'd try and have a go with Defold, as alongside Ludum Dare, and beyond it runs the Corona-Defold Jam.

I like Corona, but because I'm an irregular user I kept getting bypassed by updates.
I tried Defold a while back, and it felt a bit like using Unity, but with Lua instead of C#... and as I really like Lua, and I don't much like C#, it should be a good fit.
There's a Beta of the new Defold IDE which is all charcoal grey and groovy, so that pretty much sold me.

The Jam theme is "running out of power."
So I have a bunch of robot sharks that need to eat in order to make their thrusters work. If their thrusters don't work they sink to bottom and are shredded on the razor sharp coral. Every time they use their thrusters  they use up power.

They can get power from swimmers, boatists, etc... but need to avoid the robot squid,and at the submarines (maybe?)




Anyway I'm about 24hrs into the JAM... and I've got a game that sort of works. I'll keep going, adding more targets, obstacles and whatnot, and work through the DEFOLD examples for cool stuff like screen shake, and radial blur http://britzl.github.io/publicexamples/ ... and a HUD https://www.defold.com/tutorials/hud/ and some better parallax (as Dom keeps telling me I need to add some to stop it from looking like the swimmer are going backwards)


I've also got to try and remember how to get past the problems of local variables that Lua loves so much.

https://coronalabs.com/blog/2017/07/24/coronadefoldjam-begins-july-28th/


Tuesday, 4 April 2017

Corona Blitz

4hours... just 4 hours to make a game in Corona
Here's the baddies
the demon drink(s)